Happy Monday, readers. Today I have an interview for you from awesome Madison dude, Erick Fruehling. You’ll see Erick out and around Madison at various shows, grill outs, and anywhere in between. Erick’s a great guy and he just co-started a tape label with friend Claire. I have also learned since i sent this interview out that Erick is into bees and bought a couple bee hives. No joke! Anyways, read on!
1. What is your name?
2. Where were you born and where do you live now?
Born, raised, and live in Madison.
3. What bands have you played in and who are you playing with currently?
My first band was called New Years Gang, a two piece, started it with Alex Ross. We started in 2009 or 2010 after seeing a bunch of 2 piece bands like No Age, Japandroids, and The Hussy. Alex is also the drummer of current bands Fire Retarded, Dumb Vision, and Zinky Boys. I play guitar and sing in Dumb Vision, it’s my songwriting output, and bass in the other two.
4. You are a mulit instrumentalist, playing guitar, bass, and drums. Is there an instrument you feel more comfortable with? Any that are a challenge? Why?
Guitar comes the easiest because I’ve done it for so long, but I play sporadically so my chops aren’t up to what they used to be. Bass is second easiest because I play it most consistently in Fire Retarded which has toured the east coast a couple times. As for drums, I can hold a beat and I wish I was better.
5. Tell me a little bit about the tape label you are starting. Who is it with? Any plans for a first release?
Rare Plant is the tape label I’m working on with Claire Nelson-Lifson. So far we’ve put out the local Madison bands Automatically Yours and Minotaurs. It is a geat way to get physical copies of local bands music out in the world. We’re doing limited runs of 75 because we do the dubbing and labeling ourselves. We have some other releases lined up so watch for updates!!
6. You are really great at drawing/art. Do you draw art for bands? Who are some of your artistic influences?
I’ve done shirt designs and posters usually just for the bands I’m in. It’s mostly just something for fun to do and I get to practice my photoshop skills.
7. What do you think is good about the Madison music scene? What could use improvement?
Pro: There’s a great variety of bands. Con: More show spaces and DIY venues for under 21er’s and more grilling.
8. What do you see yourself doing in 5 years time?
I don’t like to think that far ahead, but it’ll probably be doing similar things to what I am doing now. Maybe I’ll have a more consistent job, a bigger bedroom, and a garden.
9. Who are some of your favorite bands?
It changes frequently. A lot of garage stuff has been a big influence, bands like Ty Segall, Thee Oh Sees, and Jay Reatard. The last three records I bought are Radio Birdman – Radio Appears, Dead Moon – Strange Pray Tell, and Country Teasers – Secret Weapon Revealed at Last.
10. Favorite pizza??
Anything with anchovies and thin crust!
Big thanks to Erick for getting these questions back to me. Buy this man a drink if you see him out and about!
CHECK OUT THESE LINKS!
Fire Retarded – “Overrated Kayak”